Form filling tips
- Take your time.
- Read the form and any extra information carefully.
- Follow all the instructions.
- If you are filling out a paper form, take a photocopy so that you can practise. Or you can write out your answers on blank paper or on your computer first.
- If you are filling out an electronic form, save your answers as you go along.
- If you are filling out a form online, you could type your answers in your word-processing program first and then copy them across.
- If there is something you don’t understand, ask someone for help – for example a teacher, careers adviser, or a relative.
- Make sure your answers are neat and clear, and always check your spelling or grammar before you send your form.
- Check that you have completed all the relevant parts.
- Keep a photocopy of a handwritten form. Save an electronic form on your computer. If you get an interview, you can re-read your form to prepare.
- Send off the form in time for the closing date.
Always check your application form carefully before you send it and keep a copy.
Here are some other websites with tips on completing application forms:
My World of Work - Application forms
Contains five useful things to do before you start filling in your application form.
- Australia’s careers online – Job applications
- This is an Australian site, so you might find some different word meanings and spellings. The site has lots of useful information, examples, and tips – including what not to say when you apply for a job.
14 February, 2018